Tang Rabney is an annual ritual commemorating the consecration of Namkhai Lakhang by Lama Namkhai Samdrup. It is performed for the peace, prosperity and wellbeing of the farmers in upper Tang Valley.
While performing the consecration ceremony of this temple, Lama Namkha Samdrup saw the Tang local deity Rinchen Gonyak, who is also the cattle deity, manifested as a yak and performed the dance in the courtyard. The two other great protective deities Gonmo (Penden Lhamo) and Yeshey Gonpo joined him. Based on this, Lama Namkha Samdrup instituted the annual event where all the villagers contribute and celebrate the event for three days.
The highlights of the festival are the dances of Yeshey Gonpo, Penden Lhamo (Gonmo), also called Gadpo and Gadmo in Tang and Rinchen Gonyak. These three deities are represented by mannequins wearing huge masks and moved by people. The yak, also simply called Dawala by the villagers, is very popular and his wooden mask has articulate jaws whose clanging is considered a blessing.
This 12 days tour offers an opportunity to attend the annual event of upper Tang community; mask dance performance is unique and typical to this region in the country. It also offers an authentic rural lifestyle experience and interacts with local people.
Our company contributes funds for the community to preserve, sustain and continue the celebration of aged old tradition. We offer this tour as a special one, giving the guest an opportunity to be part of the celebration and discover the real Bhutan Experience. The festival will be held on 15th, 16th and 17th November 2018.
DAY 1: ARRIVE PARO
- Arrive at Paro international airport.
- Meet with the representative from Bhutan Journeys.
- Transfer to your hotel
DAY 2: PARO – JAKAR, BUMTHANG(Domestic flight)
- Transfer to Paro Airport to take a domestic flight towards Bumthang” the spiritual heartland of Bhutan
- Flight from Paro to Bumthang takes about 25 minutes
- On arrival, drive through the picturesque valley of Bumthang to your hotel.
- Settle at the hotel and have some lunch.
- Afternoon, drive to visit Jambay Lhakhang” denotes the emergence of Buddhism spread in Bhutan”.
- Take a gradual walk to visit Kurjey Lhakhang: legend has it that the body imprint of Guru Rimpoche was left behind while meditating in a cave in this temple.
- Drive back to hotel.
DAY 3:BUMTHNAG, JAKAR – TANG (40 km)
- Drive to visit Tamshing Monastery.
- Take a gradual walk crossing the suspension bridge over Chamkar River.
- Drive to visit Jakar Dzong,”castle of white swan”, houses the religious institute for monks and administrative center of Bumthang district.
- Afternoon, depart to Tang valley passing through several villages.
- On arrival, settle down at farmhouse to experience the local living and interact with people.
Overnight: Farm House
DAY 4: TANG NAMKHAI LHAKHANG FESTIVAL
- Today full day attend the Festival” a religious festival held every year.
- Witness some of sacred mask dances typical to this region and folk’s dance.
- Opportunity to interact with local people
- Experience local people actively participate to celebrate the annual event.
Overnight: Farm House
DAY 5: TANG- JAKAR, BUMTHANG
- Take an exhilarating hikes or horse riding in the valley
- Attend the festival for couple of hours.
- Depart to Jakar valley
- En-route visit Rimochen Monastery and Merbarstho, flaming lake where Terton Pema Lingpa has revealed the religious treasure.
- Drive to your hotel and evening at leisure
DAY 6: BUMTHANG – PHOBJIKHA (140 km)
- Transfer to Phobjikha via Trongsa.
- Visit Ta-Dzong (Tower of Trongsa), an elegant museum tasteful blend of tradition and modernity.
- Trongsa Dzong, architecturally the most impressive Dzong of the country
- Lunch at Trongsa
- Drive passing through the beautiful landscape, virgin forest and meadows of Yak herder settlements over Pelela passes.
- Drive over Lawala Pass and descend to Phobjikha Valley, winter habitat for Black Necked Cranes.
DAY 7: PHOBJIKHA – PUNAKHA (78 km)
- Morning take a hike Eco Natural trail through a beautiful environment of the Phobjikha Valley.
- Experiencing the peace and tranquility of the nature.
- Spot the black Necked Cranes at a close distance
- Visit to Gangtey Gompa Monastery
- Picnic lunch at the hotel
- Afternoon visit Crane information Center
- Depart to Punakha over Lawla pass.
- Descend to Wangdue through a beautiful sceneries
- From Wangdue, drive about 20 minutes to Punakha
DAY 8: PUNAKHA VALLEY EXPLORATION
- Hike to visit KhamsumYuley Namgay Chorten and Neyzergang village.
- White water rafting
- Lunch and visit Punakha Dzong “Palace of Great Happiness”
- Evening at leisure
DAY 9: PUNAKHA – THIMPHU (71 km)
- Hike to Chimi Lhakhang “Temple of Fertility”.
- Depart to Thimphu via, 3050 m / 10,000ft Dochula pass.
- Offers spectacular views of the Eastern Himalayas.
- Walk around the Chorten and lunch at Dochula cafeteria.
- Afternoon, descend to Thimphu “The Capital of Bhutan”.
DAY 10: THIMPHU – PARO (54 km)
Visit following places of cultural interest:
- National Memorial Chorten (Stupa)
- Kuensel Phodrang (Buddha Statue, 169ft)
- Simply Bhutan Museum
- Takin Enclosure
- Late afternoon depart to Paro, drive takes less than 2 hours.
DAY 11: PARO TAKTSANG DAY EXCURSION
- Excursion hike to Taktsang (Tiger Nest) monastery
- Visit Kyichu Monastery
- Experience hot stone bath
DAY 12: DEPARTURE
- Transfer to airport for your onward destination flight